Chicken, white beans, corn and green chile in a warm cream based soup was the perfect meal for a weekend camping trip into cooler weather.
I made this soup at home and reheated it for lunch when we were ready to eat it. I couldn’t resist a small bowl straight out of the slow cooker though. This soup is a great combination of spicy flavors.
This recipe is adapted from the Creamy White Chicken Chili that has become a family favorite over the past year or so. I really enjoyed this variation and I especially liked that I was able to toss everything in the slow cooker without prepping a single thing in advance.
Slow cookers or crockpots are an appliance of which I have more than one. If you are an avid slow cooker user like I am, you might understand the need for more than one. So, let’s talk about my favorites:
First up is this 6-quart slow cooker that has a locking lid. These crockpots are fantastic for transporting foods. Mine has gone everywhere from church potlucks to barbecues, game nights to Thanksgiving dinner. However, fair warning, these slow cookers run crazy hot. Low is closer to a boil than a simmer, the warm setting actually simmers. So trust me when I say HIGH is high.
My everyday slow cooker is this 8-quart Crockpot. It’s my go-to appliance for cooking large roasts and big batches of chili. Fun fact: did you know that a full 4-quart cooker, actually cooks more slowly than a half-full 8-quart cooker?
For just cooking a few pounds of chicken to shred for enchiladas or other smaller recipes, this 3-quart version is perfect.
If you aren’t a fan of the idea of keeping more than one slow cooker in the house, these CrockPockets are a game-changer when it comes to preparing and holding multiple dishes at the same time. They slide into a standard 6-quart crockpot, dividing it into two sections that are perfect for serving different side dishes or keeping taco fillings warm for parties.
Chicken, White Bean and Green Chile Corn Chowder
- 2 pounds frozen chicken breasts I used 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 yellow onions chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups cooked great northern beans or 4 cans
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 14 ounces chopped green chile frozen green chili works as well
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or bouillon I used Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a large crockpot (or a large stockpot on the stove), combine all ingredients EXCEPT for the sour cream and heavy cream. Stir a bit to combine the spices with all of the liquids and then cover with the lid. Simmer on low for 6-7 hours, just until the chicken is tender and can be easily shredded.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove to a plate and shred with tongs, leaving it in bite-size chunks. Place the chicken back in the crockpot and turn off the slow cooker. Place the sour cream and heavy cream in a small bowl and add about ½ a cup of the soup broth. Whisk together until smooth. Pour the cream mixture into the rest of the soup and stir to combine. Serve immediately. Enjoy!