Chicken, white beans, corn and green chile in a warm cream based soup was the perfect meal for a weekend camping trip into cooler weather.
I made this soup at home and reheated it for lunch when we were ready to eat it. I couldn’t resist a small bowl straight out of the slow cooker though. This soup is a great combination of spicy flavors.
This recipe is adapted from the Creamy White Chicken Chili that has become a family favorite over the past year or so. I really enjoyed this variation and I especially liked that I was able to toss everything in the slow cooker without prepping a single thing in advance.
I used a large 6 quart Crock-pot when I made this soup. If yours isn’t quite that large, I recommend halving this recipe or you can make this by simmering on the stove-top in a large stockpot.
Chicken, White Bean and Green Chile Corn Chowder
- 2 lbs frozen chicken breasts I used 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 yellow onions chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups cooked great northern beans or 4 cans
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups chopped roasted green chili frozen green chili works as well
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or bouillon I used Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large crockpot (or a large stockpot on the stove), combine all ingredients EXCEPT for the sour cream and heavy cream. Stir a bit to combine the spices with all of the liquids and then cover with the lid. Simmer on low for 6-7 hours, just until the chicken is tender and can be easily shredded.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove to a plate and shred with tongs, leaving it in bite-size chunks. Place the chicken back in the crockpot and turn off the slow cooker. Place the sour cream and heavy cream in a small bowl and add about 1/2 a cup of the soup broth. Whisk together until smooth. Pour the cream mixture into the rest of the soup and stir to combine. Serve immediately. Enjoy!