These chicken and bean burritos are a family favorite. They are beyond simple to make and they always turn out well. This meal can be doubled or tripled without any effort.
Everyone I have ever served it to has enjoyed it. The best part? The chicken is tossed in the crock-pot in the morning and then I barely think about it all day. I truly love my crockpots and I use them for at least one meal a week.
Chicken and Bean Burritos
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or a breast and a thigh
- 1.5 cups black or pinto beans or 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Shredded cheese
- Tortillas or rice
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream
- Place 2 chicken breasts (or a breast and a thigh - we like a mix of light and dark meat) in crock-pot and cover with salsa. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 hours or so. Once the chicken is cooked, shred with tongs and put back in the crockpot. Add 1.5 cups of cooked black beans (or 1 can, drained) and a cup of frozen corn. Mix with tongs and add salsa to taste. Cook on high or on low until everything is warmed.
- This can be served in tortillas with shredded cheese or on rice or on a salad or as a burrito bowl with rice and salad. If I have a few extra minutes, I like to assemble the burritos in a 9x13 pan and then crisp them in the oven.
- Serve with lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
- FREEZER MEAL: The burrito filling can also be frozen once it is completed in the crockpot. Simply let cool completely and then store in freezer safe containers or Ziploc freezer bags. To reheat, thaw completely in the refrigerator and then use as desired.