Dried cherries, dark chocolate and Chex® cereal combine to make one of my favorite new snacks this holiday season. Does your family love Muddy Buddies® as much as mine does?
Years ago, my best friend introduced me to the addictive snack and it has made a regular appearance in our kitchen countless times since then. I typically make a half batch or smaller, simply because I can’t be trusted to stay out of it myself. It disappears ridiculously fast!
When Chex® asked me to create a new party mix recipe, I could hardly wait to play with that idea. This fun twist on our family’s recipe was inspired by a late night craving for Black Forest Cake.
As my boys were snacking on this, one of them declared this version, “27 Thumbs Up!” Considering that 2 thumbs up is a huge success, I’m calling this a new family favorite.
My son developed a sensitivity to gluten a couple years ago and I was thrilled to realize that one of our favorite cereals could remain a favorite. (Seven of the eight varieties of Chex® cereal are gluten free.)
I almost always have a box (or three) in the pantry, so that we can throw together a batch of party mix whenever we want some. What’s not to love about a fantastic chocolate snack that only takes a few minutes to make?
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
- 1/3 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons raspberry preserves or jam
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups Corn Chex® cereal
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Combine the regular chocolate chips, jam and oil in a glass dish and microwave for 90 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds and a minute. Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl and pour the chocolate over the cereal. Stir gently with a spatula until the cereal is well coated.
- Add the cherries and miniature chocolate chips and stir to combine. Add half the powdered sugar and toss lightly until all the sugar has been absorbed into the chocolate covered cereal. Add the rest of the sugar and stir again. Add just enough sugar to prevent the chocolate from being sticky, without being powdery. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Chex® cereal (a product that I’ve used and loved in my own kitchen for years). I have been compensated for my time and commitment. As always, all opinions shared are my own. You can follow #ChexPartyMix on Facebook and on Twitter for more recipe ideas.