Garden fresh squash, peppers and onions are seasoned simply with spicy sausage and then tossed with roasted red potatoes for a very simple and hassle-free dinner. This meal came together in minutes and with minimal fuss.
I loved the flavors together and I will definitely be saving this in my quick dinner file. There wasn’t a single bite of this meal leftover.
All of the seasonings in this dish come from the spicy sausage. You can change the flavor of the dish, simply by changing the flavor of the sausage. I’ve made this using Italian sausage as well and it is also delicious that way.
I enjoy the convenience of using sausage or bacon in our meals, because those meats are always ready to use in the refrigerator. It doesn’t require much meat at all to impart a great deal of flavor to the dish.
Bell Pepper and Zucchini Skillet with Spicy Sausage
- 1/2 lb hot sausage
- 2 medium size zucchini or other summer squash sliced about 1/3" thick
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped into bite size pieces
- 2-3 large red potatoes diced into bite size pieces and then roasted* (about 3 cups worth)
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- * For this meal I used roasted potatoes that I'd made a couple days ago. I love having them ready to use in the refrigerator. I make a tray or two of these potatoes almost every week. This way I can toss them into breakfasts and dinners without the hassle of roasting every time I need them.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook and crumble the sausage.When the meat is browned, add the bell pepper and onions and stir to coat. Cook for a few minutes, just until the onions are almost tender. Add the roasted potatoes, and stir to combine. Add the zucchini, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, stir and saute for just a few minutes until the zucchini is warm and barely tender. Enjoy!