Bites of turkey, dripping with tangy barbecue sauce and stuffed into a fluffy baked potato with a crispy skin, these potatoes were a hit with the whole family.
While visiting my sister this summer, she made BBQ Chicken Stuffed Potatoes. Perfectly simple, filling and I have repeated it a handful of times over the past few months. The whole family enjoys this meal.
The barbecue sauce worked great with the chopped up bites of leftover turkey. I’m adding these Turkey Stuffed Potatoes to the list of Thanksgiving leftover meals I look forward to each year.
BBQ Turkey Stuffed Red Potatoes
- 6 medium red potatoes
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3 cups leftover turkey diced into approximately 1/2" pieces
- 2 cups barbecue sauce plus extra for serving
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped green onions
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Scrub the potatoes to remove all dirt
- and then rinse and dry thoroughly. Poke several holes into each potato
- with a fork and then place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle the potatoes
- lightly with oil. Generously sprinkle each potato with salt and then
- place in the oven. Bake for just over an hour, until fork tender. They
- should be crisp on the outside and tender inside.
- When the potatoes are almost finished baking, place the cooked and
- chopped chicken in a medium size saucepan and cover with barbecue sauce.
- Stir gently to combine and warm over low heat until steaming hot, this
- should take less than 10 minutes. Add more sauce as desired, until the
- chicken is as saucy as you like.
- When the potatoes are finished, remove from the oven and slice each one
- down the center and fluff with a fork. Top each potato with the barbecue
- chicken mixture. For ease of serving, you can also simply chop a baked
- potato onto a plate and top with the chicken. Garnish with cheese, sour
- cream and chives as desired. Enjoy!
- FREEZER MEAL: This is a great recipe to double or triple if you have extra turkey. The
- turkey and sauce can be cooled completely and then transferred to a freezer safe
- ziploc bag or airtight container. Thaw completely before reheating. Cook
- and stuff the potatoes as directed above. The turkey mixture works great with these nachos as well.
6 Comments Leave a comment or review
Stuffed potatoes are the perfect one dish meal!
Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover says
Great recipe to use up whatever leftover roasted meat !
Sue/the view from great island says
I'm praying for lots of turkey leftovers!
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
what a great idea for turkey leftovers – of which I'm sure there will be plenty – looking forward to this!
Pinned it, how cute is that! and tasty to boot.
Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post 🙂