Crisp arugula, sliced almonds and thinly shaved Parmesan are tossed with a light lemon balsamic vinaigrette to create a tangy, peppery salad that is the perfect side for almost any meal.
My husband and I really enjoyed this salad. My kids were less than impressed, although they were happy to eat all the almonds from their plates.
I was excited to find huge bags of arugula at the market last weekend for just a dollar or two. I remembered seeing this recipe in a magazine recently and decided it was time to try arugula at last.
I tried a piece of the arugula by itself and was shocked at how strong the taste was. However, after tossing it in the dressing, the taste was mellowed considerably.
Arugula Salad with Almonds and Parmesan
- Several large handfuls of arugula about 1/2 a pound
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Thinly shaved Parmesan about 1/4 cup, adjust to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 scant tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 scant tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- course sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds until lightly browned. Set aside to cool. In a small jar, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic, salt and pepper. Shake well to combine. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.
- Place the arugula in a large bowl. Shave the Parmesan into the bowl and the add the toasted almonds. Add about half the dressing and toss to coat. Add more as needed. I did not use all of the dressing. Serve immediately and Enjoy!