Chunks of apricots, strawberries and fresh rhubarb are tossed together with sugar and spices and baked in between layers of a brown sugar and almond oat crust. Almost firm enough to cut into bars and yet fruity enough to be a crisp, this is really just a fruit crisp with both a top and bottom crust layer.
This is one of my favorite summer desserts. I would happily eat this breakfast, lunch and dinner every day until the pan is empty. Unfortunately, it never lasts that long in my house!
Don’t be intimidated by the crust layers or the topping, no cutting in cold butter is required. Melted butter is poured into the topping and it
forms perfect crumbs to top this dessert.
Just prep the fruit and let it rest with the sugar and spices while you stir melted butter into the dry ingredients. Press half the mixture into the pan, top with fruit and sprinkle with the remaining topping.
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
- Fruit Filling Ingredients:
- 6-8 large apricots about 2 cups chopped
- 1 lb strawberries about 2 1/2 cups chopped
- 2 stalks rhubarb about 1 1/2 cups chopped
- juice of 1 orange about 1/3 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- Topping and Crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/3 cups brown rice flour *
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch *
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- * if you do not need a gluten free version of this recipe simply substitute 2 cups AP flour for the items marked with an *
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the fruit in a mixing bowl. Add the
- orange juice, vanilla, sugar and spices. Stir to coat and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flours, oats and brown sugar. Add the melted butter. Stir to combine. Press half of this mixture
- into a buttered 9x13 pan. Pour the fruit over the bottom crust. Add the almonds to the remaining crust mixture and stir them in or just mix with your fingertips. Sprinkle the rest of the topping over the fruit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crust turns golden brown. Serve warm
- from the oven or let cool completely and slice into servings. Top with Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Milk or Cream, if desired. Enjoy!