This lightly sweetened and spiced cake is filled with chunks of apple, then drizzled with warm caramel sauce just before serving. A sprinkling of raw sugar over the top of the cake adds a bit of crunch and sweetness as well.
If caramel sauce isn’t your thing, this cake was also delicious with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream on top.
The whole family enjoyed this dessert. My preference was for the warm caramel sauce, my husband preferred the whipped cream and my kids voted for both. The cake is great all by itself, but the caramel and whipped cream take it right over the top.
Apple Spice Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups brown rice flour *
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch *
- 1/2 cup potato starch *
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter melted and slightly cooled
- 3 1/2 cups apples I used 2 huge honeycrisp apples, peeled and diced into 1/4" pieces
- 1/4 cup raw sugar any large grain sugar should work
- Topping: Salted Caramel Sauce or Vanilla Whipped Cream
- * if you aren't in need of a gluten free recipe substitute 3 cups all purpose flour for the items marked with an *
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter. Stir together the flours, baking powder, spices and brown sugar. Whisk the eggs lightly and then whisk in the sour cream. Add the milk and butter and whisk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle generously with large grain sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean. Serve warm with warm caramel sauce poured over the top. (Lightly sweetened whipped cream is also delicious with this cake.) Enjoy!