With a refreshingly light flavor, not overly sweet or heavy at all, this smoothie was given two thumbs up from all three of my boys. I had a bit of kale left in the refrigerator after making the Chipotle Cream Pasta a few days ago.
So, I decided to toss it in the blender and make a smoothie to serve with our lunch. If you are new to green smoothies or still inclined to think you can taste the “green” in them, I recommend using orange juice for all or a portion of the water.
I’ve made this smoothie both ways and prefer the lighter version with water for myself.
Side note: If you are brand new to the idea of a green smoothie, spinach blends up a bit smoother than kale and my taste buds preferred it for many years.
This smoothie was the original spinach smoothie that won me over to the green smoothie side (I swear that it only tastes like fruit and orange juice!) and I have never served it to anyone who has not enjoyed it.
Apple Banana Grape Chia Kale Smoothie
- 1 small bunch kale leaves only, about 2 cups
- 2 small apples cored and quartered
- 2 medium bananas preferably frozen
- 1 1/2 cups green grapes preferably frozen
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups water or orange juice for a sweeter drink
- Layer ingredients into the blender in the order listed. Puree until completely smooth. Enjoy!