When I made the sausage and cheese biscuits a couple weeks ago, I knew right away that I wanted to try a 100% whole wheat version. I made these and they were delicious warm from the oven!
We enjoyed then along with some fruit for a very simple and delicious breakfast. My boys absolutely love these biscuits and to be honest, so do I.
This whole wheat version is best eaten the day they are made. Like I’ve found with other 100% whole wheat biscuits, these did not freeze as well as I would have liked. They simply were more dry than I prefer when they were warmed after they had been frozen.
100% Whole Wheat Bacon Cheddar Sausage Biscuits
- 2 cups whole wheat flour I used freshly ground hard white wheat (AP flour can be substituted here)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup light flavored olive oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup bacon (½ lb raw) diced into small pieces, cooked and then drained on a paper towel
- 1/2 cup breakfast sausage (a little less than ½ lb raw) cooked and crumbled small
- 1 cup cheddar cheese freshly shredded, use fresh if possible, it will melt better
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silpat mat. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil and the milk.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and gently fold them together. When they are almost combined, add the sausage and the cheese. Gently fold everything together and be careful not to overmix.
- Using a large kitchen scoop or a couple of spoons, drop biscuit mounds onto the baking sheet. (I shaped them a little bit further with my hands, to help them stick together and hold their shape.) Bake for 10-14 minutes, the length of time will depend on the size of the biscuits. I made mine fairly large and fit 10 of them on the baking sheet. Enjoy!
9 Comments Leave a comment or review
I'm thinking these would be AWESOME at a holiday table…maybe not T-Day but Christmas? Yes, i think Christmas.
Big Dude says
How can anything with cheddar and bacon not be good – thet look delicious
This sounds great, a slightly healthier version of the regular one. I would happily eat both versions!
I'll take 5 dozen please!! And no, I'm not going to share them 🙂
Happy Thanksgiving, Mary! Hope you have a wonderful day!
My Journey With Candida says
Words Of Deliciousness says
These look yummy. I love the combination.
I was shocked to see that they don't have butter in them. Semi health conscious biscuits…good idea.
How could these be made Gluten Free? I notice with some of your recipes you listed both ways. Does this mean this just wouldn't work GF. I'm new to the GF world and need all the good recipes I can get.
I haven't tried this recipe with GF flours yet. I would however, try this one: http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2013/03/tender-fluffy-gluten-free-buttermilk-biscuit-recipe.html and then gently add in the sausage and cheese. If you do try it, let me know how it works out! Good luck.